The last print is done. It will be delivered to the gallery for framing on Tuesday. This one of Slepnir, Odin's eight legged horse, was a special challenge because I decided to do a reduction print. For those unfamiliar with this technique, please forgive me if I geek out a bit. It is a way to make a multi color relief print using only one block. But it's also kind of like working without a net because there is little room for error. First you carve away everything you want to appear as white, then print the first color.
This is a scan of the first color. I only touched up lint spots on the scan. The ink coverage was fabulous, and I was surprised.
The next step is to carve away everything that you want to appear as the first color. In this case, I wanted only the background to be the Naples Yellow-like color, so I carved away all of the background. Well, almost all. There's some lettering above the horse's back that I carved around, but it doesn't show in the next picture because I didn't ink it during printing.
The second color was straight Dark Yellow over the pale yellow mix of the first run. If you look closely you can see that the ink coverage is a little spotty, but not too bad.
Lastly, I carved away everything I wanted to stay as the dark yellow. I then printed the third color, a mixed dark brown. The coverage on the final run was the toughest. There was either not enough ink, or the ink was too stiff, or not enough pressure, or too much ink and it plugged up the small spaces, but no matter what, I couldn't get a good clean impression. Again, I don't think it's too bad and the majority of the prints will be useable, but it was exasperating.
The final print showing the lettering (runes) that I avoided in the second run.
And now a bit of a test. I took some video of the printing process and will attempt to post it here. I'm just following directions on how to post this, I really have no idea what I'm doing, so I hope it actually works.
All this and Tom Waits on the radio. Yeah. Life is good.